AnsweredAssumed Answered

Access parent ProcessInstance in execution listener

Question asked by jakub.telicki on Mar 4, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 by trademak
I am using ExecutionListener attached on the start event at the Process level through customized parser - I am adding extra logic to process creation.
When I create process through 'Call Activity' I want to get BusinessKey of parent.

Simplified code accessing parent might look like that:

public void notify(DelegateExecution process) {
            String parentId = process.getParentId();//returuns null
            ProcessInstance parent = process.getEngineServices().getRuntimeService().createProcessInstanceQuery()
                    .processInstanceId(parentId).singleResult();           
            System.out.println(parent.getBusinessKey());
        }

But the "parentId" is not available, moreover having the parentId is still not sufficient to get the parent instance, the parent process is not visible (not saved yet I guess), code like that fails as well:

String parentId = ((ExecutionEntity)process).getSuperExecution().getProcessInstanceId();    
            ProcessInstance parent = process.getEngineServices().getRuntimeService().createProcessInstanceQuery()
                    .processInstanceId(parentId).singleResult();//returns null      
            System.out.println(parent.getBusinessKey());
        }

Code that works looks like that:

ExecutionEntity parent = ((ExecutionEntity)process).getSuperExecution();                     
            System.out.println(parent.getBusinessKey());//success
        }

But according to User Guide classes such as ExecutionEntity shall not be use as they may change in future releases.

Is there a way to get the ProcessInstance/BusinessKey of the parent process, from withing start execution listener of subprocess created through call activity?

Outcomes