AnsweredAssumed Answered

Oracle DB - ORA-01460: unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested

Question asked by andrealuciano71 on Mar 9, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 10, 2015 by jbarrez
I want to share my experience with Oracle RDBMS database configuration in Activiti Explorer, just in case someone else did analogous tests.

I'm using an old oracle server 9iR2 and after installing the last version of ojdbc7.jar (12.1.0.2) I got the laconic error below which prevented Activiti Explorer from starting:

ORA-01460: unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested

The issue seems related to incompatibilities between the latest JDBC driver by Oracle and the database server 9iR2 when the method DatabaseMetaData.getTables() is invoked by org.activiti.engine.impl.db.DbSqlSession.isTablePresent().

I tryed a number of combination among oracle server (9i and 11g) and the version of oracle JDBC driver that showed that it is possible to use the ojdbc6.jar release 11.2.0.4 with oracle database server 9iR2 , whereas it is possible to use ojdbc7.jar 12.1.0.2 with oracle 11gR2.

Problem seems solved now, but my last concern regards what goes under the hood when DatabaseMetaData is involved, that is to say I suspect that some method of the class tryes to explore all objects in all schemas and it could be a problem when database is big: I had  problems in past with a connection pool that used to call DatabaseMetaData to test the connections while checking them in, causing really poor performances.

Outcomes