I'm evaluating Activiti as well as other similar products. I like what I see so far but have the following questions (and not a ton of time to dig into installing a demo)
1. Can the workflow itself be used within another application. In other words I have an application that has a dozen or so modules with documents and I'd like to allow for those document to be routed, is this feasible without moving documents into a total Activiti environment?
2. I see the "claim" function in demonstrations, can a task be assigned to a user or group with an implied claim (bypassing this manual step).
3. Can routing be impacted by data within the document itself? For example if there is a cost of over X can it route to one person or group and if <= X to another?
4. Does the system allow both parallel and serial routing? If parallel is possible can rules be established that say 3 of 5 users must approve for the document to proceed to the next step?
5. Can an end user (with appropriate permissions) eliminate a step or steps from the predefined work flow?