Install Alfresco community server on NAS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ninofersie

Install Alfresco community server on NAS

May I Install Alfresco community server on NAS . (including databases and repository files). if so. what specific model of NAS should i acquire. and probably some instructions on how to do so.. Thanks

9 Replies
sujaypillai
Active Member II

Re: Install Alfresco community server on NAS

It is not recommended to install Alfresco on a NAS. Instead you install Alfresco on a standalone system and then mount the NAS as a drive on the Alfresco server via CIFS/NFS and then point "dir.contentstore" (property found in alfresco-global.properties) to the NAS drive to store content.

ninofersie

Probably my mostly worried on a standalone system. is when it will cause a full system failure and probably will have a hard time to retrieve the database files on it. Not like on NAS we can create a daily clone back up or redundant system that will keep the database at all times

afaust
Master

You can also backup the database when running on a standalone system and use that backup to reinitialize the database after a failure. The database can also be a separate server from Alfresco, which would be beneficial performance-wise since Alfresco and database do not compete for same CPU, memory and IO resources in that case, as long as the network latency is minimal.

ninofersie

Nice to know that i can separate the database and the repository from server and move it to the NAS.  Since im new using the Alfresco community. May i know if i can configure it to any model of NAS or is there only a specific Model of NAS should i Acquire to do it? Next May i know how will i configure or what configuration should be done for the Database  and repository to be addressed to a NAS folder.

afaust
Master

I didn't necessarily mean "move the database to NAS" - the database will also rely on IO performance and moving live data to NAS will have performance impact.

The model of NAS does not matter at all to Alfresco - it only needs to be mountable as a file system if you point the content store to it. And in terms of "configuration [...] to be addressed to a NAS folder": simply configure those settings that relate to storage to the path on the NAS you want... ‌ already mentioned the main setting relating to Alfresco content store and the setting on the database depend on the type of database you are using (note: read its documentation).

ninofersie

Sorry if i use the term Move the database to NAS. . i was merely bit focused how will can i Back it up automatically daily or weekly or even yearly basis by the use of NAS operating backup schedules. To make my query bit clearly.
i can use any PC (as long with in the required specs) with a Windows Based operating system (any 64bit) then i can just simple use the Map Networked Drive to mount the Drive (for example Z: )...the point out the directory installation of the database and repository for the alfresco?

dba100
Active Member II

sorry to ask that, as we are using 

Alfresco Community v5.0.0
(d r99759-b2) schema 8022

so may I know if this version already support moving content store to a separate NAS from a shared SAN?

just change configuration to point to new content store directory ?

as you know NAS is not as fast as SAN, so any IOPS or disk latency requirement on use with Alfresco Community v5.0.0 ?

dba100
Active Member II

sorry to ask that, as we are using 

Alfresco Community v5.0.0
(d r99759-b2) schema 8022

so may I know if this version already support moving content store to a separate NAS from a shared SAN?

just change configuration to point to new content store directory ?

as you know NAS is not as fast as SAN, so any IOPS or disk latency requirement on use with Alfresco Community v5.0.0 ?

any NAS data thoughput requirement fir Alfresco to work well ?

cristinamr
Advanced

@dba100  please stop floating old threads and open one with your question.

--
VenziaIT: helping companies since 2005! Our ECM products: AQuA & Seidoc