How to manage backup/migration from 4.2 to 5.2 ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgsdev
Member II

How to manage backup/migration from 4.2 to 5.2 ?

Hi all,

I'm new to the community and been working on migrating our current version (4.2) to a new one (5.2) also known as 201609-EA. We've been on version 4.2 for quite some time now and has been working fine for us, but because of our recent policy the Java and Tomcat versions are obsolete hence the change to version 5.2.

Context :

Installation on a Windows Server 2008 (64 bit)

Here's my approach :

1. Fresh new install - version 5.2

The installation was fairly easy and seamless. I could launch it and create document at ease.

All documents were stored in the dir.root folder as expected. No issues

=> Fine, no questions, no issues to report.

2. Migration from 4.2 to 5.2

2.1 Backup

I did perform a backup as instructed Backing up and restoring | Alfresco Documentation  (Cold/Hot backup) both.

2.2 Restore

Same as the backup, I did followed the instructions (pretty clear).

2.3 Alfresco Explorer

When launching the Alfresco Explorer to check my documents, I still couldn't see anything.

=> Do we need to enable or link something to something ? I couldn't spot a faulty install

=> Are the two versions compatible ? Is the database completely different ? Shouldn't matter, does it ?

3. Restoration

3.1 Install 4.2

The point here, is to prove that restoration from a previous backup works.

3.2 Database

Same thing, I followed the instructions pretty clearly. We do use postgresql as our database and did the follow :

D:\Alfresco-Community\postgressql\bin>pg_dumpall.exe -username=postgres > 20161213_dump

3.3 Alfresco Explorer

Same story, I couldn't launch a thing. No data. Contenstore shown as empty and no documents to display.

=> I would like more instructions, as such the database we're backing up and restoring

=> Doesn't seem the restoration is working at all. I can give you more details on 

As anyone hit the same issues ?

Thanks

Sarei

3 Replies
angelborroy
Alfresco Employee

Re: How to manage backup/migration from 4.2 to 5.2 ?

Try http://localhost:8080/share

Alfresco Explorer has been discontinued since Alfresco 5

Hyland Developer Evangelist
sgsdev
Member II

Thanks Angel Borroy,

Well, having an other issue when restoring my database. It won't let me authenticate.

And checking on the Tomcat log, I'm getting that error :

eApplicationEventMulticaster.multicastEvent(SafeApplicationEventMulticaster.java:185)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:334)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishRefresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:954)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:482)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.configureAndRefreshWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:410)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:306)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:112)
at org.alfresco.web.app.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:70)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:5016)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5524)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:649)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:672)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1859)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: relation "alf_auth_status_seq" already exists
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2284)
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2003)
at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:200)
at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.execute(PgStatement.java:424)
at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.executeWithFlags(PgStatement.java:321)
at org.postgresql.jdbc.PgStatement.execute(PgStatement.java:313)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:264)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:264)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.executeStatement(SchemaBootstrap.java:1566)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.executeScriptFile(SchemaBootstrap.java:1508)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.executeScriptUrl(SchemaBootstrap.java:1148)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.checkSchemaPatchScripts(SchemaBootstrap.java:1119)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.updateSchema(SchemaBootstrap.java:984)
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.onBootstrap(SchemaBootstrap.java:1737)
... 23 more

Checking on previous version, we don't have that table in the schema, only in the newer version.

sgsdev
Member II

Also, here is the error I'm getting after the full data migration. Which is much more significant.

INFO: Server startup in 336879 ms
ApplicationEventMulticaster.multicastEvent(SafeApplicationEventMulticaster.java:185)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.publishEvent(AbstractApplicationContext.java:334)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishRefresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:954)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:482)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.configureAndRefreshWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:410)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:306)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:112)
at org.alfresco.web.app.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:70)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:5016)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5524)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:649)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:672)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDescriptor.run(HostConfig.java:1859)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.alfresco.error.AlfrescoRuntimeException: 00180000 A previous schema upgrade failed or was not completed. Revert to the original database before attempting the upgrade again.
at org.alfresco.repo.domain.schema.SchemaBootstrap.onBootstrap(SchemaBootstrap.java:1750)
... 23 more

Jan 18, 2017 5:32:02 PM com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener contextInitialized
INFO: WSSERVLET12: JAX-WS context listener initializing
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:07 PM com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletDelegate <init>
INFO: WSSERVLET14: JAX-WS servlet initializing
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:08 PM com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletDelegate destroy
INFO: WSSERVLET15: JAX-WS servlet destroyed
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:08 PM com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener contextDestroyed
INFO: WSSERVLET13: JAX-WS context listener destroyed
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:09 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Shutting down log4j
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: No Spring WebApplicationInitializer types detected on classpath
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:13 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Jan 18, 2017 5:32:28 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter INFO: loaded (conf ok)

looks like it is telling me the database, table structure has changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sarei