cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
florent_soulier
Member II

Office 2013 will not save credentials for accessing Alfresco documents

Hi,

I am trying to use MS Office 2013 with Alfresco GA 201701.

The issue is:

1. From a web browser (e.g. IE 11), I locate a document, then I click on action "Edit from Microsoft Office"

2. Word or Excel loads itself, then Office asks me for the Alfresco credentials. So that it can download the file through AOS. In the login prompt, I can check "Remember my credentials" (in French: "Mémoriser ces informations"); by doing so, I expect Office will prefill the login prompt with the very same credentials I entered at the first time:

3. I close the file from the Office application. Then back to Alfresco, I click on "Edit from Microsoft Office" again.

Result: the login prompt displayed by Office is blank, even though I checked the box "Remember my credentials" earlier

Expected: the login prompt displayed by Office is prefilled, and I just have to click on the OK button

Workaround: add a new entry in the Generic Credentials of Windows' Credential Manager, but this method is not acceptable for the average user

The tested configuration was Windows 7 and 8.1, Office 2013, IE 11 / Firefox 51, and no SSO (just basic auth against LDAP directory).

The credentials "remembering" feature was working well with Office 2010.

What could be the cause of the problem, and how would I solve it?

Thanks.

2 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Office 2013 will not save credentials for accessing Alfresco documents

The cause of the issue is that Office only remembers the credentials while it is open. Once you close it the cache will be reset. This is an issue with Office not Alfresco. There is nothing that can be done on an Alfresco-level to avoid this, except set up an SSO based authentication scheme (NTLM / Kerberos).

florent_soulier
Member II

Re: Office 2013 will not save credentials for accessing Alfresco documents

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was also convinced that this was a MS Office issue (not Alfresco), but some other Office+Alfresco users may also have the same problem.

Actually the credentials are not only cached by MS Office while it is open. Indeed as I noticed, Office 2010 remembers my credentials even after I completely close it, then reopen it: when you check "Remember my credentials" box in Office 2010, it stores them in Windows' Credential Manager. That is what I also expect from Office 2013, but still wondering why it does not work...

As anyone experienced the same MS Office issue?

Thanks.