How can I show the content added in one task in the subsequent task?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paiyyavj13
Established Member II

How can I show the content added in one task in the subsequent task?

I have a process in which there is a user task, the user before completing the task has the option of adding related task content(Out of the box feature of Activiti). Once this task is completed, the control goes to the subsequent task assigned to another user, I want to show related content uploaded in the previous task by the previous user in this current task.

How can I achieve this?

Appreciate your help...

Regards.

16 Replies
jearles
Established Member II

Re: How can I show the content added in one task in the subsequent task?

Can you elaborate a little bit more on what you mean by 'related content' - you're referring to the "+ Related Content" section within the Activti-Explorer, correct?

There is an old forum post talking about something that I believe is similar to your intentions - it talks about two different methods of attaching files, rather than viewing, but maybe it'll help it'll help illuminate portions of the situation.

If you're using the Activti-Explorer to attach the related content, it appears as though the upload content should be automatically viewable to whatever task follows, within the process. And actually, I was able to achieve the same visibility using the 'Attach' form control in this manner:

Including an 'Attach' control in both the JEarles Task and the Admin Task.

Hope this helps,
-JEarles

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Hi JEarles,

Thank you for your reply...

I am using Alfresco Activiti... below is the Task details screenshot.

Assuming I add content to the task by clicking on: "Add a document and share the knowledge", its added successfully and is visible under "Related Content" as below screenshot shows:

Once I "Complete" this task, the process moves control to my next subsequent task. I need to show these supported documents, comments, checklist tasks completed, etc in this subsequent task.

Would the fix mentioned by you work for this scenario for the related content?

jearles
Established Member II

It appears that in the database, all of the files uploaded to the 'Related Content' section highlighted in your screenshots are attached to a specific TaskId and ProcessId, without any field to relate or expose that to another task. They're also marked with a field, such that they're only displayed within the 'Related Contents' sections when viewing a task. Without a custom modification, I don't see a way in any documentation to expose those files to tasks following it. I may have missed something, but I don't believe so.

Using the 'Attach' control to create your own custom implementation of related items would solve this issue. Yes.

-JEarles

olylak
Member II

Hi,

I have the same question - how to see all uploaded content on all tasks. 

Is this functionality available out of-the-box? Otherwise I don't understant what for is uploding documents if you cannot collaborate on them !?

As I know, other products has such a functionalitty - let's call it "attachments". When some user upload documents on any workflow step...these documents are visible for all other workflow participants on all subsequent steps/tasks (even permissions could be configured).

If I have a simple approve process with two steps:

- one step upload document for approval

- second step - review uploded document and approve it.

For this scenario I need to see all uplodad documents on the second step.

Is it possible in Activiti????

If not - then what for "related content" on the task is created for?? If I upload something on a task and click Complete it - content is no longer available for the proces???? Does it make sence????

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

Since it is a simple Review approval process-

Have the start process attach one or more documents into a form field- Then in the subsequent Review Task show the documents using the Display Value form field, here choose the form field id that you used in the Start Process form to upload the documents.

Regards.

olylak
Member II

That was just an example.

In my scenario I need to somehow store document generated by the third-party system into the running process and make user on the next task make some decision on that document.

I thought that when task is completed I can trigger my third-party application to generate document and store it back to the task using REST API.

But it's not visible for the rest tasks.

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

you could use the below REST API's:

/enterprise/process-instances/{processInstanceId}/raw-content

or

/enterprise/tasks/{taskId}/raw-content

The parameter details are available in the api-explorer.

Regards.

olylak
Member II

Thanks,

Btw do you know how to set process instance id into process variable to be able to use it later inside custom form stencil?

From the stencil I have an access to the form variables. How to populate one of the form variable with a process instance id?

paiyyavj13
Established Member II

execution.getProcessInstanceId() this will give you the processInstanceId- you can set it into any variable within a Listener- once the variable is set, you can use the same variable name as the form field id- this will set the value in the form....

Regards.