AnsweredAssumed Answered

Uploading a new revision with a different file format

Question asked by neilecker on Apr 18, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 by douglascrp

This is a non-technical question about the nature of what a record is.  Some of our users have a habit of uploading a PDF document as a new version of an existing Microsoft Word document.  I'll give an example wherein an Agreement is prepared for signature:

1.  A Microsoft Word form for an Agreement is created and filled out.  This may result in many revisions of the Word document as users collaborate on it.

2.  When ready, the Word document is printed out to be signed by all parties that are involved in the Agreement.

3.  Once signed, the document is scanned as a PDF.

4.  User uses the "Upload New Version" action to upload the PDF on top of the Word form.

5.  User then declares the signed Agreement as a record.

At this point, both the file extension and mimetype are incorrect (.docx and Microsoft Word respectively).  Now when a preview of the document is requested or someone attempts to download the document they receive errors because the extension and mimetype don't match the actual document contents which we then walk the user through correcting.

What do people think of this?  My own personal opinion is that the signed PDF version of the document should be separate from the prepared Word form and only the signed PDF should be declared a record.  On the other hand, I can see why some users would think to do this as it's kind of the same document, with the PDF being the completed version of the Word form.

Neil

Outcomes