Bulk Upload

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bupesoneka
Member II

Bulk Upload

I have over 2,000 manuals as PDF files created using flare. I have downloaded the Alfresco free trail to use as a tool for version control. Is this the right tool? what is the fastest way for me to upload a few hundred files to Alfresco. Will the program save the new files as new versions or would I need to go into each individual file and upload a new version?

14 Replies
mehe
Senior Member II

Re: Bulk Upload

Hi,

you can use the bulk importer: http://docs.alfresco.com/community/concepts/Bulk-Import-Tool.html

With that you can even create a version history for your documents (see "prepare the filesystem")

bupesoneka
Member II

Hi Martin,

Thank you for you reply.

I have started reading the "prepare the filesystem" document and it states that the files need to be XML. Is this only limited to XML or can i use PDF files?

bupesoneka
Member II

My sincere apologise I have read it again and it makes sense. Is there a way to add all files in a specific folder rather than adding files individually?

mehe
Senior Member II

The bulk importer takes a complete directory structure and imports it into alfresco

bupesoneka
Member II

Thank  you very much 

Just one last question

I have been trying to set up the bulk upload.

When I complete the form I initiate the bulk upload and it gives me this page:

I'm not sure if I've been typing something in wrong.

Would you be able to give me some guidance on what I need to fill in to complete the process?

Regards

Bupe

mehe
Senior Member II

Your source and target seems to be wrong.

source is a directory under which the files that have to be imported reside, for example c:\myimportroot

target is the directory in alfresco, where the files should be imported to. For example company_home/mytarget

under c:\myimportroot you have, for example, the files

mydoc.pdf

mydoc.pdf.v1

mydoc.pdf.v2

mydoc.pdf.v3

after the Import you should see the file mydoc.pdf in alfresco (under company home/mytarget) with the .v files as versions

.. like documented...

bupesoneka
Member II

Thank you very much I have finally uploaded the files.

The last question is about version control.

If i repeat the process will the system recognise that this is a new version or will it overwrite the old file?

bupesoneka
Member II

Basically is there a way for me to upload the same files uploaded previously, with the same name without overwriting the old files?

mehe
Senior Member II

If the files in alfresco are "versionable" (which means, they have the versionable aspect applied) the new file will be uploaded as the newest revision.