Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malizor
Member II

Instances hang with concurrency

Jump to solution

Hi,

I attached a simple .BPMN with which I managed to reliably reproduce my issue.

It only contains script tasks, though I originally noticed this behavior with Java service tasks.

There are 5 script tasks witch are all marked as async.
The first 4 do nothing and the fifth one sleeps for 2 minutes (in my experience, it works the same with any other service task that is "long to process").

What I observe when launching new instances is the following:

• The first and second instances go through the workflow and wait on the wait_script
  • The third one stay on script1 for some seconds then goes to wait_script
  • The fourth one stay on script1 until the first two instances finish.

I also tried launching 100 instances of this same workflow at once.
In this case I observed that they are all processed very slowly. It seems the instances advanced by batches of around 20, in no particular order, and that they stayed on wait_script for more than 2 minutes.
All in all, the 100 instances needed about 20 minutes to complete.

Note that I tried to modifie the asyncExecutor settings but I did not notice any change.

I set the following settings:

<property name="jobExecutorActivate" value="false" />
<property name="asyncExecutorEnabled" value="true" />
<property name="asyncExecutorActivate" value="true" />

and:

<bean id="asyncExecutor" class="org.activiti.engine.impl.asyncexecutor.DefaultAsyncJobExecutor">
    <property name="corePoolSize" value="100" />
    <property name="maxPoolSize" value="2000" />
    <property name="keepAliveTime" value="3000000" />
    <property name="queueSize" value="20000" />
    <property name="maxTimerJobsPerAcquisition" value="2000" />
    <property name="maxAsyncJobsDuePerAcquisition" value="2000" />
    <property name="defaultAsyncJobAcquireWaitTimeInMillis" value="10000" />
    <property name="defaultTimerJobAcquireWaitTimeInMillis" value="10000" />
    <property name="timerLockTimeInMillis" value="60000" />
    <property name="asyncJobLockTimeInMillis" value="60000" />
</bean> ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍                                                                                       

I don't understand why instances seems to get stuck when other are being processed.

Why all my instances do not go directly at the wait_script step? Why can't they all process concurrently?

Note that it works fine if I unset all async flags, so it seems to me that this is related to the job executor.

What I concluded is that Activiti expects a job execution to be relatively short, but it's not a really satisfying answer.

I'm using Activiti 5.22 , deployed in Tomcat7 (process deployed in the explorer and launched via the REST API).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daisuke-yoshimo

Re: Instances hang with concurrency

Jump to solution

If you want to increase the number of jobs to be executed concurrently, you should change asyncExecutorCorePoolSize and asyncExecutorMaxPoolSize.
https://github.com/Activiti/Activiti/blob/master/modules/activiti-engine/src/main/java/org/activiti/...

The setting of asyncExecutorCorePoolSize is the thread pool size to execute async job.
Because asyncExecutorCorePoolSize' initial value is 2 and your process sleep, the two process's scripts of your five process occupy the thread pool.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
daisuke-yoshimo

Jump to solution

If you want to increase the number of jobs to be executed concurrently, you should change asyncExecutorCorePoolSize and asyncExecutorMaxPoolSize.
https://github.com/Activiti/Activiti/blob/master/modules/activiti-engine/src/main/java/org/activiti/...

The setting of asyncExecutorCorePoolSize is the thread pool size to execute async job.
Because asyncExecutorCorePoolSize' initial value is 2 and your process sleep, the two process's scripts of your five process occupy the thread pool.

malizor
Member II

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer.

As explained in my question, I already modified these settings. But your comment made me double check and I noticed the settings were not taken into account because of a missing line in my conf file.

So that's all good. Now I'm going to fine-tune those parameters for my actual use case.

daisuke-yoshimo

Jump to solution

I'm sorry that I don't know how to set asyncExecutorCorePoolSize in activiti-explorer.

I tested your process by customizing ActivitiEngineConfiguration.class.

@Bean(name="processEngineConfiguration")

public ProcessEngineConfigurationImpl processEngineConfiguration() {

SpringProcessEngineConfiguration processEngineConfiguration = new SpringProcessEngineConfiguration();

processEngineConfiguration.setAsyncExecutorCorePoolSize(100);

processEngineConfiguration.setAsyncExecutorMaxPoolSize(2000);