Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ethan_wong
Active Member II

Change owner of a content

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I read in the Alfresco documentation about "Become owner" feature and this was to address the issue where staff has left the organisation and other staff need to gain control of the contents not owned by them.  I notice this command is available on Folder/Document Action of Share UI.

However, I wasn't able to see this command when I look at contents that are not created by me (which assuming I am looking at content of a staff that left the organisation). 

How then would I be able to become the owner of those contents? Is this because these actions is only available to certain roles? I could not find in Alfresco documentation much details on this actionable item.

Can someone please help? Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
calvo

Re: Change owner of a content

Jump to solution

Hi,

As Hardik1512 _‌ said, if you have permissions you'll see an option to "become content owner". I attached an image of this possibility (In spanish, sorry).

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
hardik1512
Established Member II

Jump to solution

You need to be a Site Manager or have permission to delete a file or folder to become its owner

calvo

Jump to solution

Hi,

As Hardik1512 _‌ said, if you have permissions you'll see an option to "become content owner". I attached an image of this possibility (In spanish, sorry).

Regards,

ethan_wong
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Hardik1512 _ calvo _  Thanks for the clarification and visualisation (despite in Spanish) .  Perhaps I could add some detials to my scenario for a clearer picture.

What I would like to find out about this feature is whether it addresses the scenario where “the creator has left the organisation and we have a load of contents that we need to change owner”.  

To give you a little more details, we have 4 folder levels in a site and all branch users only has consumers roles at the first 3 levels but collaborators on the 4th level onward.  With the way described, we need to make some/all users "manager" role at level 4 and beyond. However, wouldn't manager role would also allow user access to rules and permissions? Has anyone had problems opening up these actions to general users?

Would it make sense if a folder "manager" can assign the content to another owner? Has anyone done this before?

douglascrp
Advanced II

Jump to solution

You can write your own custom version of the action, and then let the user select who is going to be the owner.

By doing so, you can even define a new custom group or something like that in order to decide who can execute the action, and the action's code can run as system, letting the code set the owner as whoever you want.

ethan_wong
Active Member II

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback Douglas. We are aware that we can customize and have done so for folder controls.  However, we would like to keep as close to the standard version and avoid making more changes.  I had thought that this scenario would have been faced by many others and likely be an issue since earlier versions.  I was hoping someone already had got a way around this and could share how it could be done .. other than customizing rules.

I'll be very surprise if this scenario had not been faced by others as all organization using Alfresco would have had staff leaving.  The administrative overheads would only increase with the length of period a staff had used Alfresco.