Is anyone performing bulk operations such as metadata actions, copying assets or projects where they have a large number of assets?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkempson
Customer

Is anyone performing bulk operations such as metadata actions, copying assets or projects where they have a large number of assets?

We are trying to perform bulk actions but our assets include images, video and photos as well as documents. The metadata is rich so there can be a reasonable number of tags but we are experiencing performance issues that can result in timeouts. Is there anyone in the community performing similar actions successfully?

3 Replies
afaust
Master

Re: Is anyone performing bulk operations such as metadata actions, copying assets or projects where they have a large number of assets?

I have been doing such operations in specific customer contexts since I started with Alfresco. There are various considerations to be made during design and implementation to avoid running into performance issues. It would be great if you could explain your specific approach and the problems your are hitting in order to see if this is something that can already be dealt with using common tooling available in Alfresco or minor changes to your approach...

mkempson
Customer

Re: Is anyone performing bulk operations such as metadata actions, copying assets or projects where they have a large number of assets?

Hi Axel thanks for responding. Currently there are three bulk actions we are trying to perform. One example is to bulk derive/copy assets from a search result so multiple locations to a single folder. We think that the process is queuing the assets but background activities such as SOLR hitting the DB every 15 seconds to check for updates and then trying to update the index for the derived assets is loading the CPU to the point of failure. I can discuss the business requirements comprehensively but if you need any technical information on our approach I can bring in one of our Devs to explain further. Again many thanks Miles

afaust
Master

We certainly have to look at the technical details because this is where you make or break it... From your description of "bulk derive/copy assets from a search result so multiple locations to a single folder. We think that the process is queuing the assets" it is unclear to me what / if any custom implementation is being used or if you are using some standard functionality. Also - since you are talking about assets - it would be great to know if you are using some addon with Alfresco, since "asset" is not commonly used term for objects in default Alfresco unless you use an Asset Management or Web Content Management module (like Web Quick Start or Crafter CMS). Other customers do use default Alfresco to handle images / media files but they most often refer to these as just "files", "documents" or "content".