cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avirankatz

Can I signal a specific receive task?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've read the following documentation regarding signaling an execution (in the user guide):

13.6.2. Execute an action on an execution

PUT runtime/executions/{executionId}
Table 90. Execute an action on an execution - URL parameters
ParameterRequiredValueDescription

executionId

Yes

String

The id of the execution to execute action on.

Request body (signal an execution):

{

"action":"signal"

}

The above request works, but it doesn't signal a specific receive task? I'm looking for something like:

{

"action":"signal",

"receiveTaskId": "myReceiveTask"

}

I'm new to both activiti and BPMN, so if this question is regarded to bad understanding of CPMN principals, I would love a clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Aviran

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cjose
Senior Member II

Re: Can I signal a specific receive task?

Jump to solution

Since signals and messages can be used in a variety of ways, the signaling a signal on a receive task cannot work as you mentioned by "receiveTaskId": "myReceiveTask".

Signals are generally used for broadcasting. If you are looking to send a signal to a particular receive task using a boundary event I suggest using a message event. For better readability, name the message event something like "receive-task-message-event" which makes it look tied to your receive task . 

For completing the receive task it is a two step process, you will first need to query for active message subscriptions (executions) with name "receive-task-message-event" and get the execution id. Then complete the message subscription by executing the API

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
avirankatz

Jump to solution

Anyone?

cjose
Senior Member II

Jump to solution

Since signals and messages can be used in a variety of ways, the signaling a signal on a receive task cannot work as you mentioned by "receiveTaskId": "myReceiveTask".

Signals are generally used for broadcasting. If you are looking to send a signal to a particular receive task using a boundary event I suggest using a message event. For better readability, name the message event something like "receive-task-message-event" which makes it look tied to your receive task . 

For completing the receive task it is a two step process, you will first need to query for active message subscriptions (executions) with name "receive-task-message-event" and get the execution id. Then complete the message subscription by executing the API

Hope this helps.

avirankatz

Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer. It helped indeed.

However, this triggered a different issue: we handle events from Activiti using an implementation of ActivitiEventListener. This works like a charm as process instances proceed from within Activiti Explorer or Activiti REST. But when I send a message via the API, events such as ACTIVITY_COMPLETED are not fired.

See the following code snippet:

public static void main(String[] args) {
    readProperties();
    processEngine = buildProcessEngine();
    processEngine.getRuntimeService().addEventListener(new ActivitiEventHandler("localhost", "61616"));
    new MessageSender(processEngine).sendMessage(args);
}

What am I missing here?

Aviran

avirankatz

Jump to solution

In case anyone would come across the same problem -

This was a misunderstanding: I presumed that all events would show up in the ACT_EVT_LOG table, not knowing that there's a registered event listener that popoulates it. After not seeing the expected events in the table I thought that activiti doesn't dispatch them, when in reality they were dispatched but had no indication.

So I added the following line, which made activiti populate ACT_EVT_LOG:

runtimeService.addEventListener(new EventLogger(processEngine.getProcessEngineConfiguration().getClock()));