enable CIFS Alfresco release 201707 on Windows 10

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidedavide

enable CIFS Alfresco release 201707 on Windows 10

Jump to solution
Hello Community, I am going for the first time to use Alfresco, in fact I am not very familiar with the use of the latter. In particular, after installing the Alfresco Community edition correctly on a Debian server, I would need to enable the display of Alfresco directories as a network resource in Windows 10, and then make them accessible by means of the CIFS protocol. Following some online guides, I had the opportunity to understand that there are certain security criteria to be set but, although having modified / disabled some, I did not get a positive result. I'm literally going crazy. Any help from you would be enormously appreciated.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
afaust
Master

Re: enable CIFS Alfresco release 201707 on Windows 10

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that recent/upcoming updates to Windows 10 are removing support for CIFS / SMB v1 protocol. So the CIFS feature of Alfresco will not be usable anymore. Alfresco will also deprecate/remove this feature in one of the upcoming versions. There is no point in trying to get started with CIFS at this time - try to work with WebDAV / AOS to provide mapped network drive functionality instead.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
afaust
Master

Jump to solution

Keep in mind that recent/upcoming updates to Windows 10 are removing support for CIFS / SMB v1 protocol. So the CIFS feature of Alfresco will not be usable anymore. Alfresco will also deprecate/remove this feature in one of the upcoming versions. There is no point in trying to get started with CIFS at this time - try to work with WebDAV / AOS to provide mapped network drive functionality instead.

davidedavide

Jump to solution

Hi Axel Faust,

thank you very much for the answer. i will use Webdav until new features for windows 10 arrive. You have solved my problem.

heiko_robert

Jump to solution

At least until today (win 10 build 1803) SMBv1 is just not installed by default and can be enabled again in "Programs & Features/Windows Featrues": SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support.

PowerShell: Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

https://support.microsoft.com/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in... 

We don't see much progress in making aos/webdav scenario more mature. If you can live with the restrictions (path length, protocol dies on special characters in windows) webdav is fine but there are many organisations still requesting CIFS for that reason.

Other platforms made similar experience - e.g. ownCloud now implements it's own virtual filesystem on client site acting as a proxy drive supporting online, offline, sync and updates which then behaves like a local OS drive (Winodws, Mac, Linux).