How full text search is working in Alfresco?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yogeshpj
Established Member

How full text search is working in Alfresco?

Jump to solution

I have following text  "Brown fox can do" in one of the file uploaded in alfresco.

When I am trying to search using AFTS using following query and I am getting the document in results every time.

TEXT:"do" 

TEXT:"doing"

TEXT:"doed" 

I want to understand how full text search works in Alfresco ? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jpotts
Professional

Re: How full text search is working in Alfresco?

Jump to solution

Alfresco uses Solr. The behavior you are seeing is functionality common to most search engines--not just Solr--called stemming. All three of your searches get analyzed by the search engine and those terms get "stemmed" to the their root. In this case, the stem is the same in all three cases: "do". That's why the document shows up for all three searches. For more info, search the internet for "Solr stemming".

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jpotts
Professional

Jump to solution

Alfresco uses Solr. The behavior you are seeing is functionality common to most search engines--not just Solr--called stemming. All three of your searches get analyzed by the search engine and those terms get "stemmed" to the their root. In this case, the stem is the same in all three cases: "do". That's why the document shows up for all three searches. For more info, search the internet for "Solr stemming".

yogeshpj
Established Member

Jump to solution

Thanks Jeff. I got to know the same when I was going through the Solr documentation.

I am finding out how can I disable it and potential impact of it on the system.