Triggering the workflow from external software

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bghayad

Triggering the workflow from external software

I need to start the workflow by triggering it from external software, how?

In other words: Instead of click on start button to start the workflow, I need the workflow to be started by triggering it from outside software. How?

Regards

Bilal

4 Replies
mdtabrezmca
Established Member II

Re: Triggering the workflow from external software

Hi,

One of the way to do it by using Singnals.You can call the activiti Rest api to catch singnal event and then start the process.

If you are using activiti 6 then you can use Activiti User Guide  REST api to call the signal event and while designing the process you can make use to Start signal event

Hope this will help.

bghayad

Hello Tabrez;

Thank you a lot for your kindly reply.

And if I have user task and need to trigger it from outside software, I can trigger it directly or I need to trigger a start signal event which will call the user task?

One more thing: if I need to trigger the End Event from outside program, what is the proper method? Because I did not find End signal event, so I am thinking to use Receive Task which will be triggered by external software through REST api and the Receive Task will be connected to End Event. Is it fine or there is another better solution?

Regards

Bilal

paul_roth
Established Member

There are likely a few ways to model this.  As you've suggested, using a Receive Task should be made to work just fine.  Another approach is using a Boundry Signal Event.  The model might look something like as follows:

bghayad

Thank you Paul for your clarification.

In your example: The Boundary Signal Event will trigger the user task or will trigger the end task?

Because I need to trigger the user task from outside and I need also to trigger the end task from outside and the end task is not related to the human task as in my below example:

By the way: as the Receive Task is not calling any code, so what is the difference between it and the Boundary Signal Event?

Regards

Bilal