AnsweredAssumed Answered

What is the reason of using nip.io DNS service in Getting Started setup?

Question asked by attilio on Jan 16, 2019

I am referring to the following resources:

Activiti 7 Deep Dive Series - Deploying and Running a Business Process 

activiti-cloud-charts/activiti-cloud-full-example at master · Activiti/activiti-cloud-charts · GitHub 

I understand that NIP.io is a DNS service which basically converts any host <WHATEVER>.<IP>.nip.io to <IP> address.

I don't understand, why we need this step, what benefit does it provide?

I did the installation locally (without Ingress), only using the IP addresses, instead of the corresponding *.nip.io host names, and it worked. So is it because of Ingress that we do need host names (in other words: is it true, that Ingress would not work without the *.nip.io hosts?)

In the mentioned sources I found some hints, as to why the host name might be needed, but it is still not clear for me:

The activiti example install process is simpler if services are exposed with a wildcard DNS and the DNS is mapped to an ingress in advance of the install.

Question: why is it simpler to type e.g. my-service.10.0.0.1.nip.io/auth than 10.0.0.1/auth? (Obviously there is some other point I'm missing.)

This will allow you to access your services by name under the same domain.

Question: so is the point of nip.io hostname only to be able to type my-service.10.0.0.1.nip.io/auth rather than 10.0.0.1/auth, i.e. to get a better readable (albeit longer) host name?

Outcomes